City of Santa Clara logo

Legislative Public Meetings

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 21-1421    Version: 1 Name:
Type: Consent Calendar Status: Agenda Ready
File created: 9/29/2021 In control: Board of Library Trustees
On agenda: 10/4/2021 Final action: 10/4/2021
Title: Action to accept appropriation of the FY 2021/22 California Library Literacy Services (CLLS) Grant Award for Read Santa Clara, the library's adult and family literacy program
Attachments: 1. Santa Clara City Library CLLS Grant 2021-2022 award letter, 2. POST MEETING MATERIAL
REPORT TO BOARD OF LIBRARY TRUSTEES
SUBJECT
Title
Action to accept appropriation of the FY 2021/22 California Library Literacy Services (CLLS) Grant Award for Read Santa Clara, the library's adult and family literacy program

Report
BACKGROUND
The California State Library, California Library Literacy Services (CLLS) provides an annually funded grant for ongoing operations of public library adult and family literacy programs. The Library Department's Read Santa Clara program qualifies for this grant.

DISCUSSION
For fiscal year 2021-22, Read Santa Clara qualified for a total award of $91,026, with $55,026 for adult literacy and $36,000 for family literacy programs.

The grant is to help cover the operating expenses for the Library Department's Adult Literacy and Family Literacy Programs and will be paid in two installments. The first installment is for 90% of the total award, which includes $49,523 for adult literacy and $36,000 for family literacy. The remaining 10% will be awarded after completion of a mid-year. The grant has a three-part funding formula: 1. A baseline amount for each approved literacy program; 2. A per capita amount for each adult learner served based on the Grant Report for the previous year; and 3. Local funding for Read Santa Clara, which is a combination of a) donations and grants raised by the Santa Clara City Library Foundation and Friends and b) staff salary and expenditures for books and materials covered by the City's General Fund. A copy of the California State Library award letter, dated August 5, 2021 is attached to this report (Attachment 1)

Staff recommends acceptance of the total CLLS grant award of $91,026 to support Read Santa Clara's Adult and Family Literacy programs. The grant funds will be used for as-needed positions of Family Literacy Coordinator, two Technology Assistants, a Tutor Trainer (on contract) for training adult literacy tutors and instructional resources, including books, workbooks and supplies for the ad...

Click here for full text